C O N T E N T S 

 Home Page
 Who We Are »


"To make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the World"



Our Present "Sharing the Love of Christ with everyone"

Current church membership is 605.

A Spirit of renewal is occurring at Fulton First United Methodist Church.  While we preserve our Traditional past, we are moving forward in Christ to meet the challenges and needs of a Contemporary world.  We struggle with issues, just like other churches, but centering ourselves on Jesus Christ is transforming our lives into a mutual, cooperative congregation under God.  Our Ministries are designed to promote Christian values in a rapidly changing world.  We strive to have “Open Hearts, Open Minds, and Open Doors.”  Our Mission is to:

  • Provide a safe environment for people of all ages to serve God

  • Promote and nurture Christian growth and discipleship

  • Develop and practice outreach programs that include the entire community 

  • Support others through Christian love and prayer

  • Strive to bring us all into a closer relationship with Jesus Christ and one another

We Love and Worship Jesus Christ and invite you to come experience the Holy Spirit at work among God’s people.  Share Christ‘s Love!  Please check the FAQ’s page on this website for further information on us.  You can contact us with questions by phone at 270-472-3514.


Our Past "To not know who you were before you were born, is to always remain a child"

As early Methodism grew out of small group meetings, so did the Methodist church of Fulton.  After the Civil War in 1865, Fultonians began gathering together at Clark's Chapel located several miles south of Fulton, Kentucky in Tennessee.  The roads, which were sometimes impassable, encouraged the local Methodists to find a more convenient location.  An old seminary building at the east end of Lake Street (so named for frequent flooding during heavy rain) served the village for all social, civic and educational functions.  This place was chosen as a new meeting site for the Methodist group.  Under the supervision of Rev. J.T.C. Collins, Memphis Conference Sunday School Agent, and Dr. S.G. Patterson, "Father of Fulton Methodism", the group continued for over two years until a church was organized.

In 1870 the Fulton Methodist Episcopal Church South was formally organized with eighteen charter members.  This was the first church in Fulton.  Rev. T.L. Beard, while serving a circuit of several churches, acted as organizing minister.  Between 1871 and 1873, the Methodists constructed a one room first church building on ground donated by Dr. Patterson located on the state line.  In the year the building was completed, Rev. Collins was appointed the first pastor by the Memphis Conference.  From that time on, the church was no longer part of the circuit and had become a "stationed" church with a full time pastor.

Within eighteen years, a rapidly expanding membership of more than 200 people forced a need for a larger building.  Accordingly, three adjacent lots on the state line were acquired; two donated by J.T. and Mary Collins, and the third purchased.  In 1889 the church moved to a newly constructed larger building, the older building sold to a local Presbyterian congregation.  During the thirty-eight years this building was used, membership increased from 200 to 644.  The Memphis Annual Conference was held in this building in 1898 and again in 1903.

Once again, the congregation outgrew the building.  An old saloon across the street was acquired to house the children's department.  Plans for a new church building began with purchase of a lot on the corner of Carr and Second Streets where an old tobacco barn stood.  In 1927 during the pastorate of Rev. J.V. Freeman, building and finance committees were organized to produce a new church building, and it remains our current church facility.  Building plans were drafted by Spencer & Phillips of Memphis, Tennessee; and the building contractor was Walker Bros. of Birmingham, Alabama.  

Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on March 1, 1927.  On Sunday, February 5, 1928, the first worship service was held in the new building.  Rev. Herbert E. Vaught was the pastor and Bishop H.M. DuBose of Nashville, Tennessee preached at both morning and evening services.  The Bible used in these services was the personal Bible of Rev. Collins, as presented to the church by his widow.  The Bible (over 158 years old) still serves as the pulpit Bible today.  The Memphis Annual Conference was held in this building in 1936.

In years 1980-1982 and 1997 major renovations to the building and sanctuary were completed.  New lighting and sound systems were installed, walls repaired, all woodwork was refinished, and new carpeting was installed.  In 1999 a new handicap entrance and atrium was constructed on the north side of the building.  The Willingham Center, a Christian activities building, was opened  in 1999.  This facility, made possible by the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Gid Willingham, houses a half-size Olympic pool, gym and meeting room.  The Wade House was also obtained during this time.

Pastors from 1927 to the present

  • J. V. Freeman

  • H. B. Vaught

  • R. A. Wood

  • G. C. Fain

  • C. N. Jolley

  • E. M. Wilford

  • W. H. Saxon

  • L. O. Hartman

  • W. E. Mischke

  • C. E. Hawkins

  • Carl Robbins

  • Dan Overall

  • Henry Russell

  • J. L. Leggett

  • W. T. Barnes

  • Homer Johns

  • George Comes

  • William G. Adams

  • Gordon Henderson

  • Ronald Allen

  • Paul Phillips

  • John Clark

  • Cecil L. Bellew

  • J. Steven Cavitt

  • Charles L. Parker

  • Timothy Atkins

  • Von Unruh

  • Bill Tate

  • Keith Long

  • Nancy E. Johnston Varden

Our Future  "Is in God's hands"